There were previous mentions about the Fulfilment By Amazon network service provided by Amazon. However, this section will focus on the Amazon FBA part of the guide. It discusses the shipping and receiving requirements of Amazon and the details about selling on Amazon Europe.
Amazon shipping and receiving requirements
- Augmenting and restructuring processes is one of Amazon’s many strengths. This particulate section focuses on the excess prerequisites Amazon has set up for tolerating imported items as just as they acknowledge locally sourced items.
Inventory arriving from overseas
Below is a list of Amazon’s requirements about the inventory incoming from abroad :
- If the location of the imported item is tagged as “in care of FBA,” in that case, Amazon will not act as the shipper of record on any of your imported cargo.
- To get hold of the EIN or Tax ID number imperative for customs clearance, Amazon must contact the customs broker before shipping.
- Deliveries with liabilities, taxes, and other charges will not be accepted.
- Pre-paid deliveries should be arranged for the Amazon fulfillment centers.
There are additional requirements for business based out of the US.
- Only those shipments will be accepted by Amazon warehouse that adheres to their palletizing and labeling requirements (mentioned below)
- Palletizing requirements
- It is a necessity of Amazon for shipments to be delivered on pallets.
- Shipments carried by air are, for the most part, palletized in the US because of the fact, as secured by the Packaging section, their weight can extinguish cargo costs.
- However, it is different for ocean freight costs. Shipments are commonly palletized in China since the cost of palletizing is inexpensive. While palletizing, make sure to use a wooden frame of 48″ x 40″ (Amazon refuses to accept plastic). Also, remember, the supplier must always incorporate a fumigation certificate for import coming from China.
The labeling requirements of Amazon are the same as that of a general labeling practice. However, an added condition is that an appropriate Amazon label should be attached to every carton in an Amazon shipment at the right place. This is done in the view to make sure that the cargo reaches the right fulfillment center. You can print transporting names from inside the Amazon shipment creation work processor, on the off chance that you have just made the shipment from your Amazon delivering the line.
Make sure to go through Amazon’s specifications regarding label placement. For instance, the complete label must be seen, and no extra barcodes should be visible on the carton. Labels should be stuck on the carton’s flat side and not on the corners for complete visibility. For shipping, each box should have its label.
If you have enough boxes to ship a pallet, you will need four additional labels, one in the center of each pallet side. If you have enough boxes to send a bed, you need four extra marks, one in the center of each pallet side.
The labeling can be done by your supplier in the US as long as he has the correct Amazon labels and understands the right way to label. If this preparation is done in the US, the shipment should be palletized.
According to Amazon requirements, the FBA shipments should be delivered at precise timings (Sometimes, late in the night) and with an exceptionally restricted delivery window. Keeping this in mind, it should be noted that the deliveries’ scheduling is done only after the goods arrive successfully at the forwarder’s warehouse in the US. Make sure to promptly make the booking, particularly in busy periods, for example, Amazon Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. Create a buffer in your planning during these periods if your shipment faces a few days delay waiting for the delivery appointment. It is your forwarder who should be dealing with all this.
The information mentioned above is given as a guide itself. You should always check Amazon’s Sellers Central requirements and only work with a freight forwarder with experience arranging several deliveries to Amazon.
Freight quote requests
The subject of getting a freight quote request is dealt with in the Request for Freight Quote chapter, and there are no special requirements for shipments destined for the Amazon warehouse. However, the tools mentioned below can be of great help before you request a quote.
Amazon has a few standards set up to receive import shipments in the same manner they receive native shipments. This incorporates that they won’t go about as a merchant of record or extreme representative, and they won’t be responsible for any obligations, charges, and so on.
Deliveries that do not adhere to the proper palletizing, labeling, and receiving requirements will not be accepted.